Puppetwars: Unstitched.




  So in keeping with my plan to keep my own personal hype Train going, I have decided to work on my Puppetwars: Unstitched game. I really love the visual element of the game. I am a huge fan of goth puppet stuff like the nightmare before Christmas and this ticks all the boxes for me. 

I wanted to upgrade the game’s scenery from the cool plastic tokens to something a little more immersive. As such, I have built new obstacles with the goal of matching them to the board’s cartoon aesthetic. Bobbins and buttons from the dollar store have done the trick nicely. The plan it to paint them in a cartoon style. 

Next up was thinking of a way to mark wounds on the puppet's cards… more buttons for the win! But where to store them? I found this box in a dollar store and instantly set about making it into a wound token holder that would fit in with the look and feel of the game. Here is the process from start to finish:

I painted a layer of thinned glue first to prevent having a paint thirsty chest, and then primed it black.

Next I mixed up a brown that I was happy with as a mid-tone from which to work with.
Painted in the wood texture with darker and lighter shades of the mid-tone.
made and applied some Green Stuff rivets.
Base coated the "metal" in preperation fo rthe NMM. 
Put off starting the NMM for a good week or so because I was so nervous about it. 
Got impatient/too excited and did some black lining ahead of the process to see what it would look like, and loved it!  
Finished all the black lining and added in the initial scratches and damage. 


And here is the finished paint job! I want to matt varnish it when the weather decides to cooperate. I am also going to give it a felt lining. Next up is painting the buttons and bobbins! 
Not much of an impressive photo, but I am SUPER stoked with the finished product! Double sided tape and Walmart felt for the win!!! 
Here are some pics of the chest post-varnish
And here are some pics of the next pieces on the workbench. First up are the bobbins which I found at a Dollar store. I am planning to paint these in comic style...Shocking I know! 
I have superglued Dollar Store buttons together as obstacles/line of sight blockers. I plan to make 2 more, and.... You guessed it! Paint them in a comic style. 
Here they are together to give a feel for what the board will look like in game. 
I found these big plastic buttons in.... YUP! The Dollar Store :P I will be using them as "workbenches" and painting 6 of them grey to represent Neutral Work benches, and then 4 sets of 4 in red, green, yellow, & Purple to represent team specific Work Benches. 
Here is a Work Bench along side the existing "terrain pieces"
You can see that teh models actually fit REALLY nicely into the buttons. 
Another bonus is that the Work Benches and Buttons/Wound Counters fit very nice and tidily into the chest that I painted.




I’ve actually done a lot more work than I have pics for on this project. I’ll post them soon.  




Comments