Stay on the path!

So I have been waiting for a Wood Elf BB team release from GW for what feels like an eternity! Even a release from any other model company of that matter. I have proven to be quite particular in what I am looking for without actually being able to define what that is outside of knowing what I don't want/like. I like the Elven union team that GW has released and I am hopeful that they will not disappoint with the WE team, should they decide to release one. But for some strange reason I do not want to convert the Elven Union team to wood elves, and have decided to wait.



That being said, I have had a desire to make a forest spirit Wood Elf team for a very long time, as a sort of tide me over team, but I have not been able to find the time to scratch build them, or find models that I feel fit with my vision. The GW WE spites don't lend themselves well to the project, and are very difficult to acquire. I was thinking of using nurglings as a base from which to convert, but they just didn't feel right. And then it happened! I have been inspired! I googled Will o Wisp and found pics from Disney's Brave that featured will o wisps! They are exactly what I envisioned dancing elusively through the forest with their ghostly glow, always just out of sight, and mist like.



Then I recently saw a FB post with a Brimstone Horror in it and new that with a little work, they could become the models I have envisioned. A quick search revealed that GW sells a box set that contains 10 pairs of Brimstone Horrors and 10 Blue Horrors... I was thinking that I could separate the pairs and have enough of them to represent the full 16 WE line elves allowed with 4 to spare. I then got to thinking that the Blue Horrors could be converted into Will o Wisp equivalents of Wardancers, Catchers, and Throwers.

For the Brimstone Horrors I was thinking that I could fill in their teeth mouths and angry eyes and sculpt smoother more pleasant features, or just eyes. Then a paint job to make them look ghostly accompanied with OSL on their bases to finish them off. For the bases I was thinking of using skulls and or Waystones that the will be materializing out of similar to GW's spirit host models. I was also thinking of having mossy logs on the bases to represent Bc rainforests.



For the other positionals I was thinking of sculpting the models to be more like the Brimstone Horrors in that the will not have hands and feet in the traditional sense, and they will look more "wispy" by converting all of the tentacles to look more like the "flames" of their smaller box mates. I will also convert the "wisps" into mohawks as this is classically how Wardancers are depicted. For catchers I will rely on leaping/catching poses to distinguish them, and for throwers I could add a ball. The blue horrors will take considerably more work than the Brimstone Horrors... I think..., but with a bit more thought I am sure I will be able to come up with some good ideas. 

I was also thinking about making a Treeman or two from this box. Then I could actually even use the models as a Halfling team too.




Comments