DUMB & DUMBER

I must say that working with these metal Trolls has been a fantastic experience, mentally and physically challenging , but very rewarding. I forgot just how much more difficult it is to work with metal than plastic... My fingers are STILL sore.

I chose these models because they provided me with a strong base from which to be able to realize my vision of having Trolls that resemble the Night Goblin Trolls from the BB 2 Legendary Edition video game.




The GW Stone Troll models look too cartoony for my tastes. The Sour Breath Trolls however, have a look that really appealed to me. Their proportions and build fit with what I have in mind, and I love the extra little details/snacks they have like skulls, and even a Dwarf Slayer's head. I was able to make changes to the Trolls that were realistic, within my ability to do, and would give me the look that I was going for.

I have gone with quite a minimalist approach to my Night Goblin team. My Goblin players have no armour, I justify this by saying that this reflects their low armor value and highlights their reliance on agility and size for protection. As such, I wanted to keep the Trolls in line with this theme and have attributed their higher armor value not to actual armour, but more to their thick skin and regenerative abilities.

 

The "club Troll" was the one that I was the most nervous about working with, and has actually ended up being the one that I am the most proud of/happy with.

- I removed the club, and drilled/carved out the remnants of the haft from the hands. I then used GS to repair the damage and add "closed hand details"
- I then decided how I wanted the arms to be positioned, pinned them, and used more GS to add elbows, musculature etc...
- I hacked the exposed spine details from the Troll's back, and sculpted on muscles & scales.
- I also decided to remove the deep scratch details from his stomach in favour of a smoother look that I can paint scratches on if I want.
- I sculpted a Night Goblin number plate from plasticard to tie him in with the team.
- I added spikes (Night Goblin arrow heads) to his shoulder pad to make him a little more "blood bowly"
- Sculpting the hood was an experience wrought with pleasure and frustration in almost equal proportions. I used plasticard and GS to get the final results you see
- I still needed to make him look more like a stone troll, so I sculpted him a nose.

The conversions for the "Raised Fist" Troll was very similar to the other. And with exception to the hood, was actually quite a lot easier to do.

Now what shall I work on next?...

Comments

  1. Very impressive results. I've never mastered sculpting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Phil.
    It's like anything else. If you put enough time into it, you will get there :)
    At least that is what keeps me going! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment